Saturday, May 16, 2009

Homeschool 101

We are going to begin home schooling Sam in the fall for kindergarten. Josh and I attended a HS conference in Indy last month, and we learned so much! One thing they suggested was creating a list of goals, so on hard days you can remind yourself why you are doing this (especially when the school bus drives by:). Here is our list so far...

Why we choose to home school:

  • Provide Biblical teaching and Christian environment
  • Teach according to individual learning styles and talents
  • Foster family relationships
  • Promote community involvement

Our long-term home school goals:

  • Create a love for learning
  • Raise responsible, passionate, and kind citizens
  • Develop Biblical character

Measure of success:

Lives of priority,
1. God
2. family
3. school/vocation

Yesterday the kids and I met at a park with the local home school group. I really enjoyed getting to know some of them. I have no doubt they will be a blessing and valuable resources for us. They meet just about every Friday of the year. During the school year they do various field trips and educational stuff and in the summer they play together. There are a few boys Sam's age and girl's Cora's age, so we should fit right in. There are also several babies in the bunch for Eli to grow with.

Last night we attended a home school graduation (Congrats Sharon!) for a different support group. We were so impressed with the seven graduates and their families. It was very obvious to me the amount of time and prayer the parents invested in the children. Its actually quite intimidating!

We are really excited to start this phase of our life, but I can't believe Sam is old enough! We thank God we are able to do this, and we pray for His wisdom in teaching, patience when its hard, and grace when we fail.

2 comments:

Tisha Alexander said...

I don't think I would make it without my homeschool group. The Lord has really used them to minister to me during the tough times! You will never regret it, even on the bad days. :)

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Homeschooling is one of the greatest joys of being a mother I could have!!! Although there have been times of many doubts, and I feel soo inadequate at times. I love it, and I believe that is why our family is so close knit & it shows!!! Your children are absolutely beautiful!!! Have a blessed day!!