Sunday, November 15, 2009

'Tis the Season





Deer season that is! Josh has been hunting with his family since he was a youth and has gotten many does and small bucks. His mom has claimed ownership of the biggest buck in the family, an 8 pointer. Yesterday was opening day of shotgun season, and Josh got the "Big Kahuna" as the family calls it. He shot an 11 point buck at dusk. The kids were so excited, and Josh was like a kid on Christmas. His Uncle Mickey shot a 10 pointer earlier in the day on the same land, so there will be lots of deer meat to enjoy this year. (We have many deer here in southern Indiana, just check the auto accident reports in the paper.) Now Sam is getting a deer anatomy lesson!


Josh's buck is unusual because his brow tines, the ones closest to his head, are long and curved. He will look majestic on our wall...I guess!? We believe God had this deer just for Josh. Earlier in the day Josh shot at a small buck and missed, and Josh RARELY misses. God must have misdirected that bullet, because you can only shoot one buck.


Then, just before Josh gave up for the day he saw this buck coming. He could see antlers, but not the size (good thing or he would have gotten too nervous to shoot). The buck was walking a distance away, and heading the other direction. Josh started making noises, rattling antlers together and grunting just to get its attention. He figured since time was running out he better do something. He made more noise than most hunters would, but the deer actually came his way, except he was to the side of Josh, who was in a small tree stand. Finally the deer got close enough and Josh had to shoot sideways. He got him with one shot, but the buck of course took off running.


By the time Josh got down and started tracking it, it was dark in the forest. Our family has shot many a deer and never tracked them down. They have a way of bedding down and dying in impossible places. This deer left very little blood trail, but the guys managed to find him in the dark with flashlights.


The kids and I prayed many times yesterday that the hunters would be safe and God would send deer to them. I am so thankful that God blessed Josh with this deer, not because Josh needed it, but because it was the desire of his heart. Every good and perfect gift comes from the father above.




FEEDING AMERICA



It is also harvest time. The Lord has given the farmers beautiful weather to work in for the past 2 weeks. Sam got to ride in the neighbors combine yesterday (I was jealous!). They were combing corn next to our farm. The farmers are working LONG hours to bring in the harvest, and our road is busy with grain trucks. The kids love watching the equipment go by, and they are learning where our food comes from.


Some sad news...our dog got hit on the road and killed. She was young, and somewhat annoying, yet I miss her. I am a dog person, but Josh is not. This is not good for our marriage, and maybe God knew this so he spared us further arguments. I can't help it though. I was raised with farm dogs and I just plain like them, even when they make a mess, lick my children, eat our eggs, steal entire pans of brownies, and continually smell like skunk.


We got interesting reactions from the kids upon telling them Maggie's fate. Cora cried and wanted held, and she remained sad for a few days. Sam on the other hand said, and I quote, "I bet she has flies all over her now!" Do you think this child has seen too many dead animals?


Living on a farm offers many opportunities to learn about the brevity of life. In the last three weeks, we lost two chickens to a fox and then one got sick and died. Of course there was the dog and the deer, and three possums who deserved their fate for stealing eggs.


BUT, the farm has tractors and that is Eli's only concern. He LOVES tractors and books. Coincidentally he only looks at his books that have tractors in them. For Christmas I am making him a photo album of farm pictures, mostly our tractors. Here is one photo of him on our old pedal tractor. He enjoys this toy, just ask Cora whom he bit when she tried to get on it!




We are doing a few other homemade gifts for the kids as well. Last year I bought Sam the toys he really wanted from Wally World, and he proceeded to never play with them. So we are trying a new approach. One is homemade marshmallow guns. Here is the pattern we are following, though we haven't done it yet. I think Josh is going to make 5 (he wants one too, which means I will have to armed as well:). We are also making these "I spy bottles". I have all the materials gathered and ready, but we are going to wrap those and let the kids actually put them together.



And here is Cora, because she's beautiful. Maggie, her lost friend was right there beside her this day, and now I wish I hadn't pushed her out of the way for the photo. Any guesses on when we might get another dog? I don't expect one under the Christmas tree...but I think I can convince Josh by spring. After all, he will have his deer in the house, but the dog will be outside.

5 comments:

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

fun memories. I love the marshmallow gun thing....hmm....try it ourselves too! Our kids have lost outdoor dogs too- no fun. I am a pet person too- especial dogs!!!

Tisha Alexander said...

Good job Josh!!! I am sorry about Maggie. I also am a dog person. Our dog is 10 1/2 and it'll be a sad day here when she is gone.

I can't wait to hear how they like the homemade gifts. Great idea. :)

Anonymous said...

Carol here . . love the blog. So sorry about the dog. I know how we felt when Sissy died. Kids, dogs and farms just go together . . so I would imagine Josh will relent soon. Dale was so lost without Sissy he got up Christmas morning last year and took Caleb and Sarah to a buddies house to pickup "Susie". He planned ahead to suprise them.

Anonymous said...

I love how boys and girls react so differently to things... I too am a dog person and we have an old lab. I think would be happy if it were the last dog we ever had but to me a family is not quite a family without one.

Tamara B said...

great update. the things you talk about remind me of life in rural NE iowa. love it. i bought my husband one of the marshmallow guns one year for christmas. he and scott have fun with it - now if only i can teach them to pick up their own marshmallows!