Monday, April 13, 2009

Eli's Baby Dedication


Easter weekend we spent with family. Josh and Sam went golfing with the guys. Sam only made it 9 holes, but he enjoyed it (Josh on the other hand says he is never going again). We had a few egg hunts. Sam is the "get 'em fast as you can" stage, while Cora is the slower "wow, an Easter egg" stage. Sam is also becoming a master at "trading" Cora candy/snacks/toys, but he always gets the better end of the deal. Poor Eli will have two take advantage of him.


Easter morning before church we used an egg set we got a couple years ago to tell the Easter story. Each of a dozen eggs has a small token of the Crucifixion and Resurrection. We didn't use them all since our kids are so young, but we used the nails, spear, linen, stone, and empty egg. Then we gave them their Easter baskets. Later Sam asked me if they were really from the Easter bunny, but I broke his heart by telling him there is in fact no rabbit that brings plastic eggs to our house. Hey, we go along with Santa (begrudgingly), but I just don't get the bunny. Easter is about our LORD!




Easter Sunday morning we had Eli's Baby Dedication at church. We love Easter, the greatest celebration for those in Christ, and we were very glad to have his dedication that day. As with our other children, Pastor Jim gave brief descriptions of our roles as mother and father in raising Eli plus the churches role in supporting us. He gave Biblical references and prayed for us and Eli.

I remember Sam and Cora's dedications, and they were very special, but Eli's felt like a more serious commitment to me. God chose the path of adoption for our family, He led us to Ethiopia, and to Eli. I think I more fully understand that Eli is God's child, and we have a great responsibility in raising him. No more so than Sam and Cora, but it is more evident.



The kids all wore outfits we bought in ET, and Sam was particularly proud. He's already asked if we can wear them again. I wore a bracelet I bought there, but the earrings broke out my ears! Near the end, Pastor always holds the baby so he took Eli. Eli immediately started screaming and trying to get back to me. Apparently Pastor either puts him to sleep or scares him, depending on the circumstances.

Lord, we dedicate Eli's life to You. We thank you for making us his family and him our son. Thank you for a special reminder this Easter of all that you've done for us. We ask for your guidance in raising him and pointing him to you. We pray that at an early age he might know your love and forgiveness, and dedicate his own life to You. Amen!

4 comments:

Troy said...

what a perfect day. he seems to be bonding well :)

Tisha Alexander said...

I am so happy for you, what a wonderful Easter!! I completely agree with you regarding the whole Easter bunny/Santa Claus thing. We do the resurrection eggs too. My boys can now tell me the story when we open each egg, it is music to a mother's heart! :)

cb4swife said...

Congrats!!! The kids look adorable in their outfits! Did you get your hair cut...it looks lovely. We love Easter too! God Bless...Shannon

Lauren said...

so exciting! I love these pictures.