Monday, July 27, 2009

Proud to be Ethiopian American


We went to the annual 4th of July Parade in our county. It is small, but the kids love it. Sam and Cora loved the candy of course. Eli clapped at the loud firetrucks and the band, and he said "vroom, vroom" at all the tractors.


I am very patriotic, I get it from my dad. I almost always tear up at the parade and often at events during the national anthem. This year, as I was watching Eli at the parade, decked out in his red, white, and blue, I really had a hard time. I felt joy for the opportunities he now has in America. I felt great sadness for all the children on the streets in Ethiopia. As we were celebrating on the street, in Ethiopia children were being abandoned on the street, dirt streets that are littered with trash and housing sick and poor people.
Will Eli ever go back there? How will he feel? I hope he is proud to Ethiopian and American. God has truly worked a miracle in bringing our family together. I pray he works miracles for many more Ethiopian children. I also pray that many of the Ethiopian Americans will use their great opportunities to serve their native country.

2 comments:

Tisha Alexander said...

I LOVE that picture!!!! I have wondered a few times if our girls would be called by God to go back to Ethiopia.

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Completely true....often think of that myself.