Friday, August 21, 2009

Litter Patrol

After supper last night we did a little family community service project. Josh drove the gator while the rest of us walked (Eli was in the stroller) and we picked up trash along our county road for about a mile. Before we started we talked about litter and how it was bad for the environment. It was a beautiful evening to be outside, and the kids were as excited as if it had been an Easter Egg hunt! They walked farther than they usually do because they didn't want to miss anything. Sam was grossed out by two diapers we found, and Cora was very interested in the full Mt Dew bottle until we said it might NOT be Mt Dew.

At the end of the trail was my brother's house, where we were rewarded with Debbie Cakes and a new litter of barn kittens. It was a fun evening, just as I remember it was when I used to clean up this same stretch of road with my grandparents.

2 comments:

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Great idea!!! We do that too, and it helps reinforce why we don't litter.

Anonymous said...

While working with Sam over the weekend, I got in trouble by a 5 year old! I threw out my gum (in the woods) and was told that was littering, pick it up and put it in the trash! Well of course I did.