Tuesday, August 18, 2009

School is in session!

Ausbrooks Family Homeschool has started for the year. Sam is excited, and so are Josh and I. This week we are working on letter recognition and calendar concepts and getting into a routine. Today we played a counting game with a deck of cards and chocolate chips...my kind of math!

Here he is on his first day of kindergarten. He made an "All about me" paper, which will be kept for future reminiscing. Cora made one as well, and I told her she is in preschool. She likes to work right along side of him, so I have to have materials ready for her too.


For those unfamiliar with homeschooling, laws vary by state, with Indiana's being fairly lenient. We will keep attendance, which must be 180 days per year, but its very unlikely we will ever have to turn that in. I am using the Indiana State Academic Standards for Kindergarten to set our goals. We did not buy a curriculum, since I've taught kindergarten before I think we can use a variety of materials available at local stores. The social studies and math standards will be very easy for Sam. I am nervous about teaching him to read, but I think he will pick it up quickly. We are using a devotion book as well, plus the themes his church classes are using.

4 comments:

Christie said...

yay for homeschooling! so exciting!!! we start kindergarten with our 5 year old maggie on the 31st!

Guatmama said...

I am proud of you!

Tisha Alexander said...

Sounds like a great day! You are very creative. You are smart not to buy curriculum for him. I bought it all when my oldest was in K and what a waste. My homeschool post is coming soon... I hope! :)

Lauren said...

i would be no good at math using chocolate chips because I would eat all of the manipulatives.