Friday, March 6, 2009

Baby Calves

My brother David got his first two baby calves of the season this week. We went back to see them, and saw this little cutie laying outside the fence (little ones can walk right under the electric fence). As soon as his momma heard us coming, she started mooing and pacing. I explained to the kids that meant she was a good cow. The calf got up and went to its mother before we got too close.

My brother keeps meticulous records. He has about 40 cows and 2 bulls, and this is just a little part of his farm (the part he enjoys the most). This calf was born Wednesday, so its tag says 3-4 at the top. Its big number is 902, meaning it was the second calf born in 2009. On the back of the tag is its mother's number.

Two of our old 4-H cows are still in the herd, and one of them is very gentle. I showed her at the fair in 1997, and today my kids go back and pet her.

We love calving season, and spring is in the air!

Well, my stomach has been in knots for three days. I'm glad I only have one more night of restless sleep to get through. All is ready to go, minus last minute items and loving lots on Sam and Cora.

I leave you with this picture of Cora. She is laying on the quilt my grandmother, Meme, made for Eli.

"I sure hope Eli gets here soon!"

4 comments:

Tisha Alexander said...

That picture of Cora is adorable. What a cutie pie!!! Take it all in next week and I will be anxiously awaiting the full report. :) Please know I will be praying for you guys.

Lauren said...

I cannot wait to see what God does for you!

Anonymous said...

After a stop at Cracker Barrel for a huge last American breaksfast we delivered Josh & Kristi to the airport and all went well. As of now - 9:42 am they should be on their last leg of the journey to Africa!

Ron & Maria said...

Praying for a safe journey - and a peaceful union with your new family member!