Thursday, August 13, 2009

Learning Letters


We played the popular "Fly-Swatter" game today. Haven't heard of it? Well, it goes like this:


Choose a concept the kids are learning, in today's case it was letters, and find some concrete examples. We used magnet letters today. Spread the materials out on the floor for maximum enjoyment, but it you have an "Eli" around you might have to use the table. Then give the kids a flyswatter or two. Yell a letter name and they have to quickly swat it. Cora only knows the letter C, so I yelled out colors for her. We had a blast, and learned too.


This game is great for numbers, sight words, shapes, you name it. I got a good feel for Sam's receptive letters, but I wanted to know how many he could name as well, so I let him yell letters for me to swat. He thought that was great fun too, and I got to know what he letters he really knows.



We haven't offically started school, but Sam is ready to. This was a practice day, and we had a great time.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

that's a GREAT idea!

Tisha Alexander said...

That is a great idea! The more fun you make it, the better of a day everyone will have. :)

I hope you had a great weekend last weekend. I am not sure if you know or not, but John (my middle son) broke out in chicken pox Saturday night and my youngest son threw up right when you guys would of gotten there. I am so thankful we called it off, but I look forward to getting together soon.

Eastiopians said...

What a great activity! Thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

This is a great idea. Especially for energetic little boys that need some gross motor stimulation to stay interested!